New TEYL short course announced for summer 2007
The School of Education has announced a new short course to be run in conjunction with the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia.
The Developing Practice in Teaching English to Young Learners course will run between the 23rd and 31st July at the University of Ljubljana and will be taught by Gen Fairhurst and Penelope Robinson.
It is intended for professionals interested in further developing their knowledge and skills in Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) and aims to introduce them to approaches, methods and techniques which will encourage and support childrens language learning.
Topics covered in the course will include:
- Current policies, practice and concerns in TEYL
- Current understandings about how children learn languages
- Exploiting typical activities (i.e. songs, games, role play) to maximise learning
- Developing communicative classroom discourse
- Planning communicative activities
- Developing story-based lessons
- Developing early literacy
- Adapting, supplementing and using the text book
The course will include interactive lectures and seminars, demonstrations, presentations and practical work.