Professor Neil Morris
Chair of Educational Technology, Innovation and Change
Neil Morris is Chair of Educational Technology, Innovation and Change in the School of Education and the Director of Digital Learning at the University of Leeds, reporting directly to the Pro-Vice Chancellor for Student Education. He is a National Teaching Fellow, and has won a number of national awards for teaching excellence. Neil has a research background in neuroscience and current research interests in educational technology, online learning and blended learning. He has conducted a number of published research studies on the impact of mobile technologies on student learning and engagement and he is the co-author of Study Skills Connected, a successful textbook on using technology effectively to enhance learning (Palgrave MacMillan), and Studying a MOOC: a guide (Palgrave MacMillan). Neil has led a number of strategic technology projects at Leeds, including MOOCs for FutureLearn, lecture capture, Open Educational Resources, Virtual Learning Environment and student response handsets. Neil is co-lead educator on the FutureLearn online course Blended Learning Essentials with Prof. Diana Laurillard, a project funded by the Ufi Charitable Trust.
In his current role, Neil has strategic and operational responsibility for the Digital Learning Team, which is responsible for the University's iTunesU site and delivering MOOCs for the FutureLearn platform. Neil has authored a number of strategies and policies for the University, including the Digital Strategy for Taught Student Education, the Blended Learning Strategy, the MOOC vision and strategy and the Open Educational Resources policy. Neil has given many keynote talks at UK and international events, and is a regular speaker at conferences.
Neil is a Trustee of the Association for Learning Technology, and Chair of the Editorial Board for the Association’s Journal, Research in Learning Technology. Neil is also Chair of ALT’s Publication and Communication Committee.
Neil is currently seconded as the Director of Digital Learning for the University of Leeds, overseeing all projects relating to Blended and Digital Learning. He is also involved with pedagogic research investigating the use of technology to enhance learning for HE students, with particular interests in MOOCs, learner analytics, technology adoption and mobile devices. Neil has a current grant from the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education with Professor Linda Evans, and from the Ufi Charitable Trust for the Blended Learning Essentials online courses, with Diana Laurillard.
Neil is the Director of the University of Leeds Research Centre for Digital Learning.
Neil has conducted studies on tablet computers, eBooks, the integration of video lectures, podcasts and mobile technology into the HE curriculum (View YouTube clip). Neil was the founding group leader for the Bioscience Education Research Group between 2010-2013. Neil has received grant funding from the Higher Education Academy Collaborative Teaching Development Grant Scheme for a research project on eBooks (see blog here), and the Higher Education Academy's Centre for Bioscience (ULBERG), the Higher Education Academy / JISC OER phase 3 scheme (embedding Open Educational Resources institutionally; final report here; case study here). Neil also led a student project to produce podcasts of research seminars for use in student education (PRELO).
- Visiting Professorship, Ulster University
- Chair, Communication & Publications Committee, Association for Learning Technology
- Chair, Editorial Board, Association for Learning Technology
- Member, ESRC Peer Review College
- Programme committee eMOOC conference (Experience track)
- Programme Committee ALT Conference 2015
- Heads of eLearning Forum member
- JISC Scaling Up Online Learning Working Group
- University of Leeds Partner Representative for FutureLearn.
- Former Editor-in-Chief of the International Student Research Journal, Bioscience Horizons, published by Oxford University Press (2011-2014).
- Former Associate Editor for Advances in Physiology Education, published by the American Physiological Society.
- Former Associate Editor for Bioscience Education, published by the Higher Education Academy.
- Blog series, Ulster University
- Long live the MOOC, Research Information (2015)
- Flipped learning, Research Fortnight (2015)
- How to Monetise MOOCs, Research Fortnight (2015)
- Digitising students’ learning experiences, Student Education Bulletin, Leeds (2014)
- Don’t dismiss MOOCs - we are just starting to understand their true value, The Conversation (2014)
- Talking about Quality: the challenges of accrediting MOOCs, Quality Assurance Agency (2014)
- Flexible Pedagogies: technology-enhanced learning - case study, Higher Education Academy (2014)
- eBooks for Learning and Teaching, ALT newsletter (2014)
- Using interactive multimedia eBooks in the laboratory, Casebook (2014)
Forthcoming external talks
- Blackboard Learning and Teaching Conference, Groningen (April 2016)
Recent external talks
- Learning-teaching processes and new technologies: global education dialogue (Keynote, Delhi, India, 2016)
- CHERP Annual Learning and Teaching Conference (Keynote, Ulster University, 2016)
- Franco-UK MOOCs conference (2015)
- Leading the Learning Landscape, Leadership foundation for Higher Education (2015)
- EPALE Digital Skills and Learning Conference (UK, 2015)
- 7th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, Portugal (Keynote, May 2015)
- Advancing Further and Higher Education Through Mobile and Technology Enhanced Learning Conference, Salford (Keynote, 2015)
- 4th International Conference on E-Learning and Distance Learning, Saudi Arabia (Keynote, 2015)
- Annual College of Estate Management Tutor Conference (Keynote, 2015)
- University Secretaries Group (February 2015)
- Mediasite European Forum (February 2015)
- BETT Show (January 2015)
- Inside Government's Transforming Further and Higher Education Through Mobile and Technology Enhanced Learning (December 2014)
- Higher and Future Education Show (October 2014)
- Insider Yorkshire Digital Summit (October 2014)
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (September 2014)
- FEBS EMBO conference (September 2014)
- Keynote at 8th International conference on e-Learning, Lisbon Portugal (July 2014)
- MOOCs: a lasting revolution, Quality Assurance Agency annual conference (June 2014)
- The future of MOOCS in Further and Higher Education (June 2014)
- Higher York eLearning Conference (June 2014)
- Mobile Learning 2014: Inside Government (June 2014)
- Unleash: Mediasite user conference, Madison, USA (April 2014)
- OER and MOOCs: Changing the Learning Landscape, Higher Education Academy (March 2014)
- European eMOOCs summit, Lausanne, Switzerland (February 2014)
- Heads of eLearning Forum: MOOCs (February 2014)
- MOOCs: What have we learned? University of London, Leadership foundation (January 2014)
- Inspirational leaders seminar on Open Online Learning, Higher Education Academy (January 2014)
- Digital Learning Team – PQ award for Innovation 2016 (ICAEW / Leeds MOOC)
- Digital Learning Team - ALT Learning Technology Team of the Year award 2015
- Digital Learning Team – 2014 International MEDEA awards (Highly Commended)
- Innovation Partnership Award, Leeds University Union (2013)
- National Teaching Fellowship, Higher Education Academy (2012)
- Society of Biology HE Teacher of the Year Award (2012)
- Student Choice Award for most innovative teacher by Leeds University Union (2011)
- Runner-Up in the ALT Learning Technologist of the year Award (2011)
- The Physiological Society Otto Hutter Teaching Award in (2010).
I am interested in supervising postgraduate research students in the following areas: Technology-enhanced learning; mobile devices and learning; Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs); learner analytics; Open Educational Resources; blended learning; technology acceptance.
‘Can a tablet device alter undergraduate science students' study behavior and use of technology?’, Adv Physiol Educ, 36.2 (2012), 97-107,
‘First time MOOC provider: reflections from a research-intensive university in the UK’, in Proceedings of the European MOOC Stakeholder Summit 2014, ed. by Cress U and Delgado Kloos C (http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/id/eprint/81488, 2014), 259-263 European MOOC summit, Lausanne, Switzerland, 16/02/2014 - 20/02/2014,
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/81488/