Faculty of Education, Social Sciences and Law

School of Education

Frequently asked questions

What's the difference between an EdD and a PhD?

The PhD and EdD are both supervised research degrees involving the submission of a thesis and a viva voce (oral) examination.

The PhD is awarded entirely on the basis of research, leading to a thesis of up to 100,000 words. The EdD involves taught modules and research, leading to a thesis of up to 55,000 words, and is also called a professional doctorate.

I've heard it's possible to "upgrade" from an MPhil to a PhD, is this true?

Yes and no. You can only "upgrade" if you make the decision to pursue a PhD before completion of your Masters, as you will be expected to continue working on the same thesis but in greater depth to achieve a PhD.

Can I stay at home and study for a research degree from the University of Leeds?

Yes. We offer a split-site PhD that can be arranged via collaboration between your current employer and the University of Leeds. This is only available for non-EU international students who cannot feasibly study outside their home country.

You will have a supervisor in both institutions and will be required to spend a minimum period of study time in Leeds during the course.

We do not offer the EdD on a split-site basis or by distance learning due to the taught aspects of the course.

For more information, please contact courses@education.leeds.ac.uk.

I have an idea for a research proposal. Can I get feedback on this before I apply?

Yes. However, we recommend that you visit our research section before getting in touch, in order to find out if the topic you are interested in researching is one that we can supervise. Advice about what your research proposal should cover is available via our proposal guidelines.  

If this does not answer your questions prior to application, we welcome contact from prospective candidates, and we are happy to discuss possible research proposals.

© Copyright Leeds 2018