MEd TESOL is a one year full-time, or two years part-time, programme for experienced TESOL professionals, such as teachers, teacher trainers, language school directors, curriculum developers, inspectors, lecturers and materials writers.
Our programme considers how individuals learn languages, and analyses the English language through a consideration of TESOL methodology.
MEd TESOL also evaluates relevant pedagogical materials, procedures, and curricula for the provision and assessment of TESOL, and deepens your awareness of current developments in TESOL pedagogy and theory around the world.
MEd TESOL differs from MA TESOL in that the programme focuses on the development of contextually appropriate educational 'applications' of the studied areas: for example, detailed development plans, or specific programme, evaluation, materials or task designs.
In other words, you will concentrate on developing and demonstrating informed educational planning and design skills, and the focus of your study will be on the educational use of critically evaluated ideas and outcomes from the original empirical research explored or generated during the programme.
If you are looking for a postgraduate TESOL programme with less focus on the practical educational application of the material studied, you may be interested in our MA TESOL programme.
Critical Study allows you to design and undertake a small-scale research project related to your own interests in the field of education.
Learning and Teaching in TESOL examines the approaches and principles that TESOL teachers can use to teach the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Investigating Language for TESOL provides you with the skills to describe language in terms of sounds, words, grammar and discourse, and considers how you can analyse learners' language to understand their language development.
Research Methods in TESOL introduces fundamental concepts in the conduct of TESOL research and will take you through the process of conceptualising and designing a sound research proposal in the field of TESOL.
You then choose one to three of the following modules.
- Directed Study in Education 1 (30cr)
- Directed Study in Education 1 (15cr)
- The Practice of Supporting Language Teacher Learning
- Learning and Teaching Vocabulary
- Grammar, Learning and Teaching
- Teacher Education for TESOL
- Assessing Language Learning
- Materials Development for TESOL
- Issues in English for Academic Purposes
- Corpora in TESP
- Language Learning and Teaching with ICT - Online
- Teaching Languages to Young Learners
You then choose one of the following modules.
- Introduction to Educational Research Methods and Approaches to Data Collection
- Science Education: Teaching and Learning
- Science Education: Curriculum and Professional Development
- Issues in ICT and Education
- Learning with Virtual Worlds
- Design and Evaluation of Web-based Learning Environments
- e-Learning: Principles and Practices
- Lifelong Learning in Changing Contexts
- International Educational Management: Developing Leadership
- International Educational Management: Developing Staff for Institutional Improvement
- International Educational Management: Developing Financial and Material Resources
- International Educational Management: Effective Development of Policies and Plans for Change
- Mathematics: Curriculum and Assessment
- Learning and Teaching Mathematics
- Trends in Research in Mathematics Education
- Special Educational Needs: Principles and Practice
- Special Educational Needs: International Perspectives
- Developmental Disorders I: Dyslexia and Developmental Coordination Disorder
- Developmental Disorders II: Attention Deficit Disorder and Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Teaching Children with Learning Difficulties
- Teaching Children with Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties